Totem Scaffolding recognises its responsibility towards the environment and is committed to minimising the environmental impact of its business activities. We endeavour, where practically possible, to comply fully with all relevant environmental legislation and, in our operations, aim towards the principles stated in ISO EN 14001.
Totem Scaffolding takes its responsibility towards the environment seriously and this policy is a statement of its commitment to minimising the environmental impact of its business activities.
Totem Scaffolding undertakes, where reasonably possible, to comply fully with all relevant environmental legislation and, in our operations, we aim to act in accordance with the principles stated in ISO EN 14001.
Totem Scaffolding is committed to effective management of all activities that could detrimentally affect the environment by:
- Assessing our activities and operations to identify significant factors that have the potential to impact the environment.
- Managing all significant environmental risks.
- Complying with relevant environmental legislation and regulations and to other requirements to which we subscribe.
- Continually improving our environmental performance by building relevant considerations into the decision-making process and methods of operation, to minimise our environmental impact and prevent pollution.
- Being open and transparent in communicating this environmental policy to all other interested parties and the public.
Recycling and Efficient Energy Use
Wherever possible, we make use of materials and equipment that are the produce of renewable, sustainable resources. For example:
- We will use where possible, steel and alloy products derived from a creditable percentage of recycled materials.
We aim to avoid waste, for example:
- Damaged scaffold boards are assessed, graded, cut down and re-banded and then re-used.
- Scaffold tube, when bent, is put through a straightening process and re-used.
- Scaffold sheeting, debris netting and roof sheeting are handled and stored with care to facilitate multiple re-use.
We make every effort to avoid causing pollution, for instance:
- We keep to strict regular vehicle service schedules in order to keep exhaust pollution as low as possible via efficient running.
- We use greener, low sulphur fuels when practically possible.
- We prevent fuel and lubricant leaking into the local watercourse, by safe storage and careful, controlled use.
Neighbours, Customers, Public and Contractors
We are sensitive to the needs of those around us, for instance:
- We keep noise pollution to a practicable minimum and are sensitive to the environmental concerns of our neighbours, and in the wider community in which we operate.
- We always show respect for other people and their property.
- We are proactive in communicating our policy to staff, suppliers and customers, and ensuring our compliance with any environmental requirements that they may have in place.
This policy is also available as a PDF document.